Reegan Lindholm takes on the role of State MASC Secretary

Reegan+Lindholm%2C+along+with+seven+others+from+Owatonna+High+Schools+Student+Council+at+the+State+Leadership+Convention.+

Photo Submitted

Reegan Lindholm, along with seven others from Owatonna High School’s Student Council at the State Leadership Convention.

Lauryn Bateman, Writer

I am very excited about being Secretary, we have an amazing board. We are going to have a lot of fun planning things next year! Since I was a member at large this last year I can’t wait to work with the new board and have a larger role in things this upcoming year.

— Reegan Lindholm

On Sunday, April 18, sophomore Reegan Lindholm, along with seven others from Owatonna High School’s Student Council attended the Student Council State Convention. Lindholm ran for Minnesota Association of Student Councils State Secretary, and won, making her the new State MASC Secretary for 2021-2022. The convention, which is normally a weekend event, was held in one day and less people attended, due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

The convention brings together student council members from all over the state of Minnesota, they come together to try and make a difference within their high schools. Freshman and a member of OHS Student Council, Donte Miller stated, “I think the biggest takeaway would be how similar and different the council’s around the state are, and what they all do when it comes to different situations.” 

There were many roundtable discussions among different groups of students. Many of the topics discussed were: mental health, diversity/inclusion, spirit weeks, community outreach, COVID-19 support, dances, volunteer hours, service projects and many more. Lindholm and her group talked about mental health and diversity/inclusion, a perfect subject to discuss amid all the recent events happening in Minnesota. Talking about these topics is very important, not only for the student council to propose solutions but also for the students themselves to express how they feel because of the events. 

The state executive board plans and executes all state level conferences, including the Summer Leadership, Fall Leadership and the State Leadership Convention. As State MASC Secretary, Lindholm’s role is to keep minutes of the meetings, deliver messages to councils, coordinate between councils, communicate with others using social media platforms and assist in leading sessions at state council events. Lindholm said, “I am very excited about being Secretary, we have an amazing board. We are going to have a lot of fun planning things next year! Since I was a member at large this last year I can’t wait to work with the new board and have a larger role in things this upcoming year.” Lindholm is ready to take on her new role and make a difference in her school and community.