Huskies girls golf looks to rise in the Big 9 standings

Husky golfer with a big swing

Evan Dushek, Writer

OHS Girls Golf is hopeful of a great 2021 season due to their depth and experience. The team finished seventh in the Big 9 last season and plan to jump up significantly.

This team has the potential to succeed this year in terms of jumping up in the Big 9 rankings. The huskies have a solid mix of experience and youth. With some being on the team since 8th grade and now upperclassman, and are getting contributions from younger players in grades 9 and 10. 

Many golfers will jump into bigger roles this season with some sustaining their huge roles and contributing even more than they have in the past. Coach Hunst said, “Katie Ihrke and Greta Korbel have done the heavy lifting for us for a few years. Mahlman stepped up at the end of the year in 2019. We’re hoping for a solid year from ninth graders Lilly Hunst and Danika Kaytor after promising performances in their seventh grade year. With the time off last year to work on their games, I wouldn’t be surprised to see others, including Brooke Kunkel, Emily Schmidt and Mady Simon, carve out bigger roles.”

One major improvement Coach Tim Hunst wants to see this squad make is in their short game. Hunst said, “Everyone can always improve on short game. It’s an important part of the game that takes focused practice and lots of it. As the saying goes: ‘Drive for show, putt for dough.’”

Their mix of age and experience can create some inconsistency unless they grow in that department. Sophomore golfer Emily Schmidt said,  “A major goal is for us to grow as a team.” As they work to win meets and chase a big jump in the big nine standings. They placed 5th in the recent Big 9 tournament matchup. The Huskies are coming off a win against Mankato East. They will be teeing off at Monday, May 10.