Prom 2021: COVID-19 Edition

Muna Mohamed

All juniors and seniors had the opportunity to attend prom this year.

Muna Mohamed, Writer

Over the last year, students have experienced the major effects the pandemic has had on schools, one of them being not having a prom. Now, since going through a pandemic for more than a year, schools are starting to go back to normal. All juniors and seniors had the opportunity to attend prom this year. 

This year’s prom was held at the Four Seasons Arena on May 8. It had a ‘Vintage Carnival’ theme. Due to COVID-19, there were a lot of limitations when planning prom. The event lasted from 8 p.m. to midnight and students had to arrive by 9 p.m. to be admitted. The students allowed were only OHS juniors and seniors, as well as ALC juniors and seniors. Students who went to prom had to follow social distancing and mask regulations. They can only be in groups of six or less to promote social distancing.

The Prom Committee decided to have prom and after prom in the same place. The dance floor was limited to a certain number of students. When asked about the dance portion of prom and after prom, Senior Emma Dahnert said, “The dance was very different in the sense that it was not the main focus of the night. I think it would’ve been even better if the dance and after prom were separated to give it more of a normal feel.” Some students saw prom as an opportunity to have a great time with friends. Junior Julia Christenson said, “I’m not much of a dancer, but I enjoyed the dance portion of prom. I could see that my friends and other students were having fun with each other. I like that they played all kinds of music and not just the same genre.” Also, for the first time, there was no Grand March, due to limitations on the number of people being able to attend this year. However, students had the opportunity to get their pictures taken by Oldenburg Photography and at picture stops.

I thought it was nice that there were a variety of things to do, there was something for everyone. Prom and after prom was really fun, it was nice to see all my friends and actually have a fun night, since we haven’t been able to in a long time.

— Maya Ratzloff

The activities at prom included, a live DJ, henna artists, casino games, yard games and so much more. When asked if prom lived up to her expectations, Senior Nataly Hurtadotiza said, “I went to prom with low expectations since I knew that it would be different due to COVID-19. That being said, I had a lot of fun. I enjoyed the activities they had way more than the dance portion. I’m so glad after prom was combined with the dance”. Senior Maya Ratzloff was asked what her favorite moments at prom were, and she said, “I thought it was nice that there were a variety of things to do, there was something for everyone. Prom and after prom was really fun, it was nice to see all my friends and actually have a fun night, since we haven’t been able to in a long time.” Both juniors and seniors getting to experience prom, shows all the progress and accommodations Owatonna High School made when dealing with COVID-19.

Prom 2021 had to abide by the COVID-19 restrictions. Students were not able to experience how prom was like before. Nevertheless, the prom committee was able to make accommodations for things like the Grand March. Overall, prom being held this year shows how far OHS has come when dealing with the pandemic and made students dream of having a prom possible.