What’s blooming in the Ag Building?

Matt Seykora

Above is one of the four bucket planters for sale

Matt Seykora, Writer

The Owatonna FFA has sponsored a sale to help raise funds for their club. They are selling planter boxes that hold five gallon pails full of soil and plants. Buyers are able to choose between a two bucket or four bucket version. They are made up of 2 x 4’s and plywood. The Power and Technology class is tied to FFA and has been making them. In this class, the curriculum is about the machines and technological advancements of the agricultural world. Project planters are a great way to practice and use some of the tools used in the real world. 

From this fundraiser, the FFA profits would go towards the home chapter. This covers costs from meetings, community events and charity work they do. It also helps pay for the expenses of going to competitions and judging events. When asked about what the fundraiser means to the Owatonna chapter, Ms. Jamie Gray, the Power and Technology teacher and the leader of FFA said, “It’s a good learning experience for the students. They are able to do hands on work and learn while also supporting FFA and the school.”

The building and hands on experience gives the students a sense of accomplishment and pride. One of the students, Teagun Ahrens said, “It’s really rewarding to see our hard work turn into something useful for someone. It also feels really good to help out the FFA chapter.” The two bucket planters are selling for $65 and the four bucket planters are selling for $85. 

The Greenhouse class next door is also having a sale on plants starting Thursday, May 13th after school. Their fundraiser is selling plants and flowers in a wide variety of styles. Owen Thorn, a student in this class said, “It’s a change of pace in class. I really like it because we can get our hands dirty and sell our products to people. The plants are available to the general public and starting on Thursday, May 13 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the greenhouse. Additional days are May 14, 18, 19, 20, 25, 27 from 2:45 p.m. to 3:45 p.m., Ms. Liz Tinaglia can be contacted for prices and more information.