Huskies look to raise awareness at Tackle Cancer event

designed by Evan Dushek

The Huskies play Rochester JM Friday Oct. 8 at 7:00 p.m.

Landen Johnson, Writer

Owatonna will hold its annual “Tackle Cancer” night on Oct. 8 during the homecoming football game. There will be football helmets at each gate where attendees can donate money and a booth set up at the main entrance where you can purchase raffle tickets to win a basket with OHS gear. Shirts were able to be purchased for the Tackle Cancer event at the Hat Chic Clothing Co where all money will go to the Randy Shaver fund. 

“Tackle Cancer” is an event held at football games all around the state of Minnesota. It was started 10 years ago by the Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund. The fund was created as a way to support the cancer community of Minnesota by funding research and assisting in patient aid. 

Cancer is a disease that can make life very hard for everyone involved. Tackle Cancer coordinator Nancy Williams said, “To have this kind of community support around it can help. We’ve had a ton of community support to say we want to donate to this.” All of the money raised by the OHS community will get sent directly to the Randy Shaver Fund. The team will be honoring two members of the football community, Kim Zappa and Beth Bogen.

In past years a big part of the donations came from the students. Senior Karmen Eaton said, “I plan on donating at the game because I know the money is going to a good cause.” Many students will be at the game supporting the team and the cancer community of Minnesota. 

The “Tackle Cancer” game will be held on Friday, Oct. 8 at the OHS football field.