Homecoming parade is back in town

Designed by: Maria Schwab

OHS has their first homecoming parade in two years due to COVID-19

Maria Schwab, Writer

After not having a parade last year in 2020 due to COVID-19, OHS is very excited to have a normal parade this homecoming week. This will be the first normal homecoming parade to take place since 2019. The parade will take place at 1:30 pm on Friday, Oct. 8. Additionally, the parade will have a new route this year. Due to construction, the parade will start near Elm Street and will follow down into School Street instead of downtown. Float building will take place on Wednesday Oct. 6, from 2:00-6:30 p.m. at the Radel Pavillion. 

The homecoming parade has been an OHS tradition for years, bringing the whole Owatonna community together for people of all ages to enjoy. OHS principal Mr. Kory Kath said, “The best part of the parade is watching the kids look at all of the students in the floats or in the cars in complete awe and I just think its so cool that our students serve as such great role models, what it means to have school spirit and what it means to be a part of our community.” Everyone is thrilled to have a normal parade this year since last year OHS had a cruising main event instead.

The new route will be the biggest change this year at the parade. Junior Lileigh Nguyen said, “I think it’ll definitely be a change, I think we did a good job of getting it out there so I don’t think it’s going to affect attendance.” 

Students are excited and eager for the parade this year, and have been working hard, planning and setting up for this event. The return of this regular homecoming tradition is an exciting start to a more normal school year for OHS students and staff.