Movie on the field

Olivia McDermott

OHS students gathered for movie night

Olivia McDermott, Writer

OHS Student Council announced the homecoming activities that are to take place in honor of homecoming week. As part of the activities, “Movie Night” was held on Tuesday, Oct. 5 from 8-10 p.m. The movie was shown on the OHS practice fields. OHS Student Council  showed Hocus Pocus.

Hocus Pocus was released in 1993 as a suspenseful Halloween film. The film features Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Thora Birch. OHS Student Council adviser Ms. Sandra Justice said, “We looked at different titles and asked those a part of the homecoming committee and decided on Hocus Pocus.” OHS Student Council chose Hocus Pocus to go along with a Halloween theme as it is getting into October. 

This is the second year a movie will be held at the football fields. Because of COVID-19 protocols last year, the student council had to get creative with events that were allowed to be held. The movie night had positive feedback last year so was brought back again this year. There was no fee to attend the movie. Students brought blankets and chairs to sit on, and gathered with many great students for a fun filled night on the field to celebrate homecoming week.

Ms. Justice and the student council are excited to be a part of one of the many activities in celebration of homecoming week. OHS Student Council President Lauren Thamert said, “We are excited to continue the tradition of movie night.” Homecoming should be a week that allows the student body to get involved and celebrate a fun week of festivities concluded with the football game and dance.