Spreading the cheer

Alex Huemoeller, Writer

Everyone loves a little holiday cheer as they are walking into the building, which is exactly what OHS National Honor Society 10 Days of Giving is aiming to do this holiday season. The 10 Days of Giving tradition began a few years ago as a way for OHS clubs and teams to spread a little team spirit and give back to students.

Starting Friday, Dec. 10 and continuing into the weeks of Dec. 13-17 and Dec. 20-23, teams and clubs will meet and greet students as they enter the building before school on the days leading up to holiday break. NHS took over the planning and execution of this event a few years ago. The 10 Days of Giving was unable to happen last year due to COVID-19, so NHS is looking forward to bringing back the tradition.

NHS Adviser Ms. Gail Tratz said, “Hopefully it’ll help everybody actually start those days with a little bit of fun and smiles.” With the return to in-person school this year, many OHS clubs and teams are able to spread holiday and team spirit. 

In the past, teams and clubs just passed out candy as students entered the doors, but they may choose other things as well. They can sing holiday songs, hand out motivational quotes or anything else they can think of. Senior NHS Secretary Maria Mollenhauer said, “We want to encourage people to get involved in clubs and get our clubs and sports more involved in our OHS community.” This year, the return of 10 Days of Giving will allow OHS teams and clubs to spread holiday cheer and put smiles on people’s faces.