OHS’ coldest playlist of Winter

Khalid Mohamed, Writer

The month of January always brings excitement as it is the beginning of the new year. For many, that excitement comes from new music being released by their favorite artists throughout the year, as well as listening to older music to enjoy. Many popular artists already have released their well anticipated albums perfect for listening, with Canadian Pop and R&B artist The Weeknd releasing his beautiful radio station themed fifth studio album, Dawn FM, and Atlanta rapper Gunna releasing his addicting and bouncy third studio album, DS4Ever.

The winter month is also a time where more sad and melancholic music is very popular. Winter is known for being a cold month with cold emotions that overwhelm people during the season. Popular R&B artists such as Brent Faiyaz, Frank Ocean and Giveon are perfect for listening to during this month as songs like Rehab (Winter in Paris), Let Me Know, Cayendo, Vanish and Moon River fill the emotions of a seasonal sadness with a strong and somber atmosphere that brilliantly captures their listeners. However, people continue to listen to popular music that is more happy, catchy and energetic during this month. 

Many students here at OHS enjoy listening to music and their great music tastes are always something to note as they go through their school day, especially during this month. OHS senior Liban Mohamed said, “I’ve been listening to The Weeknd and Gunna a lot this month. My favorite songs by them right now are Less Than Zero, and mop. I’ve also been listening to Deja Vu by J. Cole.” Some other students have had different music in their rotation for the month. OHS freshman Ikhlas Haji said, “I’ve been listening to Playboi Carti, J. Cole and Frank Ocean this month. I really like Middle Of The Summer, songs from 4 Your Eyez Only, Forrest Gump and Lost.”

The month of January has been a fantastic month for music and has showcased OHS students’ great taste in music. This playlist consists of most of the clean versions of songs that have been played by OHS students and they are perfect for this month.