“Fearless” dance team prepares for community show

Photo Submitted

Owatonna Dance team proves their hard work by taking fourth overall at Big 9.

Marlee Dutton, Writer

As the Owatonna Dance team moves throughout their season, they are proud of their progress. The team started off strong at their first competition in Cannon Falls and they have been working hard to improve at each competition. They have had a good season placing at most competitions and placing in the top five at every competition. This year’s team is led by senior captains: Lainie Rahn, Annika Weise and Stephanie Hager. 

Although some challenges have come up in the season, it has not stopped the team from reaching their goals. Captain Lainie Rahn said, “This season has been going really well despite the challenges of dancers getting sick, but we have adapted to the people we have. We have improved our score sheets every week and have had some big first place wins for jv this season, with some seconds and thirds for varsity.” The team’s continued determination is helping them become successful as a whole. 

The team has had many obstacles due to sickness and injuries at the beginning of the season, but head coach Nicole Burgmaier who has been coaching for five years has kept a positive outlook on the season. Coach Burgmaier said, “They have continued to stay positive and focus on having a growth mindset through it all.”

The team competed at Big 9 this past Saturday, Jan. 22 at Faribault High School, they have worked extremely hard this season and it showed placing fourth in both kick and jazz, putting them fourth overall in the Big 9. Their goal was to place fourth overall at Big 9, which would be their highest placement yet in their five years as a program. 

The team takes the dance floor at the community dance show this week on Saturday, Jan. 29 at Owatonna High School at noon.