Huskies seek an extraordinary end

Parris Hovden

The Huskies prepare to clash with opponent in OHS gymnasium.

Evan Dushek, Writer

Although Owatonna has been through ups and downs with new head coach Derek Johnson, the Huskies look to make a playoff push as the section tournament approaches. Sections will begin this Thursday, Feb. 17 when the four seed Owatonna Huskies take on the five seed Austin Packers at 6 p.m. The winner will advance to take on one seed Northfield or eight seed Winona directly after their first contest. Both the quarterfinals and semifinals will be held that evening at Northfield High School. 

Owatonna has seen plenty of talented teams throughout the three month wrestling season. A few of those coming in recent weeks, Albert Lea, second ranked Class AA Kasson and second ranked AAA Stillwater, all within the last two weeks of their regular season. Therefore, the Huskies will be more than ready to take on their section opponents this week.  

Owatonna’s first round matchup, Austin, should go exceptionally well considering their dual in December ended in a staggering 60-12 victory. However, Northfield has proven to be a worthy opponent, in their last meeting Owatonna was defeated by Northfield 55-18. Huskies Wrestling coach Scott Seykora said, “We lost some close matches and were missing a starter so we definitely hope to be closer to them this time around.” If the Huskies are able to flip the results of those close matches and take advantage of new matchups. They certainly have a chance to advance to the section final. 

The Huskies showdown versus the Austin Packers is Thursday, Feb. 17 at 6 p.m. Section finals take place Saturday at 2 p.m. The finals will be held at The Rochester Civic Center as well as Individuals. Individuals begin next Friday, Feb. 25th.