Rian Grunwald commits to University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point

Landen Johnson

In February, Owatonna Huskies’ senior and wrestling captain Rian Grunwald qualified for the inaugural girls state tournament and commits to UW – Stevens Point.

Landen Johnson, Writer

In a sport dominated by boys, female wrestler Rian Grunwald has found a way to succeed. Girls wrestling is a growing sport in Minnesota. Owatonna senior Rian Grunwald will take the step to the next level next year at the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point. Grunwald also qualified for the state tournament this season. This year was the first official season sanctioned by the MSHSL. The first ever state tournament will be held in March. The opportunity to wrestle in college and at the state tournament are two very rare occurrences that not many are able to accomplish. 

UW-Stevens Point gives Grunwald a great opportunity to earn a degree in sociology while also being a part of a top wrestling team in the country. Grunwald said, “The wrestling team lives by the belief that your degree comes first and becoming a better wrestler is second.” Stevens Point finished 12th at the National Championships last season and are currently ranked number 10 in the country. 

Rian Grunwald signing with University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point to continue her wrestling career. (Thomas Hanson)

Wrestling is a year round commitment for Grunwald. During the high school season, she is a part of the Owatonna Huskies Wrestling team. Although there is an official girls season, she still wrestles mostly boys. In the off season, Grunwald travels with the Minnesota Storm team while heading to some of the toughest competitions in the country. All of this hard work has allowed Grunwald to become one of the most skilled wrestlers in the state. 

Grunwald’s commitment has allowed her to develop in unique ways. Owatonna Head Coach Derek Johnson said, “What makes her special is her instinct for every position and situation. She has a feel for the sport that only wrestlers who have put in thousands of hours achieve.” Grunwald’s commitment and skills have led her to have a very successful wrestling career, including winning the section 1-4 117 pound title, allowing her to qualify for the first ever MSHSL girls wrestling state tournament. Grunwald said, “It’s exciting since this is the first year there is a sanctioned state tournament. Everything that I have been working for is paying off and I’m ready for state to prove how hard I’ve been working.”

It’s exciting since this is the first year there is a sanctioned state tournament. Everything that I have been working for is paying off and I’m ready for state to prove how hard I’ve been working.

— Rian Grunwald

While Grunwald is a determined, skillful wrestler, she is also a great leader on the mat. Her leadership ability has allowed her to achieve the role of team captain on the Owatonna team. Grunwald said, “Being a captain on the wrestling team means a lot. I’m not only a captain, I’m the first female captain.” Grunwald has paved the way for girls wrestling in Owatonna. There are now five total girls in the high school and junior high wrestling program.

Grunwald’s career as a Husky may be coming to an end soon, but her career as a Pointer is just beginning. The Owatonna community is excited to see what Grunwald will accomplish in her future at Stevens Point.  Grunwald will wrestle at the state tournament on March 4-5.

Update : Grunwald won the 2022 114 pound state championship.