Eight Huskies set to compete at state individual tournament

All+eight+Owatonna+state+qualifiers.+Johnson%2C+Robb%2C+and+Hable+return+to+the+state+tournament.+Nirk%2C+Grunwald%2C+Reinardy%2C+Karsten%2C+and+Townley+are+making+their+state+tournament+debut.+

Landen Johnson

All eight Owatonna state qualifiers. Johnson, Robb, and Hable return to the state tournament. Nirk, Grunwald, Reinardy, Karsten, and Townley are making their state tournament debut.

Evan Dushek, Writer

The Owatonna Wrestling team season has recently come to an end, when last week’s loss to Northfield occurred, the team began to shift focus to their individual section brackets. The Huskies had many wrestlers exit the section tournament as a champion and state qualifier, including seniors: Landen Johnson (160 lb), Jacob Reinardy(170 lb), Rian Grunwald(114 lb), Kanin Hable (145 lb) and Andrew Nirk (195 lb). Junior Cael Robb (132 lb), freshmen Isabelle Townley(107 lb) and Lane Karsten(113 lb). These Huskies did not necessarily surprise anybody when they dominated the competition last Friday, Feb. 25.  Huskies Head Coach Derek Johnson said, “None of these state entrants were really a surprise.” Coach Johnson credits this to their dedication and their year-round training. 

The Huskies have no intention of stopping here, Johnson, Robb, Grunwald, Townley and Reinardy were all awarded top six seeds in their respective weight classes in the state tournament. Johnson earned a one seed with his 39-3 record. Robb was given the four seed with a 37-4 record. Reinardy was granted the six seed with a record of 33-8. Both Grunwald, as well as Townley are in a four women unseeded bracket. Seniors Hable and Nirk were not seeded. 

A few of these wrestlers have been in these shoes before, Johnson won his state bracket in last year’s state tournament, Robb placed sixth, and Hable was a state participant as a freshman. 

With the combination of expertise and talent, the Owatonna wrestlers will look to wreak havoc when they step on the mat at Xcel Energy Center on Friday, Mar. 4. Those who advance to the semi-finals will compete on Saturday, Mar. 5, the state championship match will also be held this day. Although many of these seniors plan to continue their wrestling careers at the college level, the individual state tournament marks the end of their Huskie era. 

Update:

-Landen Johnson 160 lbs State Champion.

-Rian Grunwald 114 lbs State Champion.

-Cael Robb 132 lbs 3rd place.

– Isabelle Townley 107 lbs 3rd place.