ISD 761 is looking for a new school board representative

Valentina Contreras, Writer

The Owatonna Public Schools District is looking for a student representative to represent the student voice during school board meetings. Student representatives are a critical addition to the school board since they are able to directly communicate student needs, they serve as non-voting members and directly work with administration.

The school board is looking for students who are open minded, are interested to engage in conversations about different topics and who are starting to find some emerging leadership skills. Superintendent Mr. Jeff Elstad said, “The quality of candidates we’re getting is outstanding. And that’s what we want to see. We want to see students that want to step forward and want their voice heard.” 

Representatives will typically be chosen in May of their sophomore year and will then serve a two-year term beginning in Sept. of their junior year and continuing through May of their senior year. There will be one junior representative and one senior representative to ensure continuity. To be eligible the student must be entering their junior year at Owatonna High School or the Alternative Learning Center (ALC). They must have been a resident of the Owatonna Public School District for at least one year prior to the date of selection. The representative must meet all eligibility requirements for extra-curricular activities, and they must maintain good moral character. For more information click here.

Sophomores and juniors during the 2021-2022 school year should submit their application no later than March 15, 2022. By May 2022 two student representatives (a sophomore and a junior) will be chosen to serve during their junior and senior years. 

If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Hoffman, Executive Assistant to the Superintendent and School Board, by phone: (507) 444-8610 or email: [email protected].