Landen Johnson commits to North Dakota State University

Landen+Johnson+signing+to+continue+his+wrestling+career+at+North+Dakota+State+

Thomas Hanson

Landen Johnson signing to continue his wrestling career at North Dakota State

Jose Rosas, Writer

The Owatonna Wrestling program has always been one of the top wrestling programs in the state. OHS has had some great wrestlers come through the program, including senior Landen Johnson a two time state champion. While Owatonna strives to create good wrestlers, they strive to make even better students. Johnson is the perfect example of a great wrestler and student. Winning his weight class at the Minnesota State Tournament as a junior and as a senior, Landen’s talent as a wrestler is shown time and time again. He will continue his education and wrestling career at the Division one level for North Dakota State University majoring in engineering in the Fall of 2022.

Johnson chose to attend  North Dakota State University because he thought it fit what he was looking for in a school. Johnson said, “The moment I visited I loved the atmosphere, and when I heard I would have the opportunity to wrestle I was excited for everything I could accomplish.” 

While being a captain for the wrestling team, Johnson not only made a great impact for the team  with his Individual record of 227 wins and 39 losses, but his leadership has impacted the team by helping the underclass wrestlers on the team by being a great role model helping them transition into the varsity role they were not  used to. Assistant wrestling coach Scott Seykora said, “He’s one of those special guys that puts a lot of dedication and leads by example, being a three time state finalist and two time state champ it gives the accolade to how much time and effort he puts into things.” 

“He’s one of those special guys that puts a lot of dedication and leads by example, being a three time state finalist and two time state champ it gives the accolade to how much time and effort he puts into things.”

— Scott Seykora

Johnson’s mark on the OHS wrestling program will definitely leave younger wrestlers with a goal to be as dedicated and successful as Johnson. But his success as an OHS student will not just show his accomplishment as an athlete but, rather as an all around student. While Johnson’s time at the OHS may have reached its end, his hard work and grit will pave the way for his bright college career.