Heartbreaking loss not the end for the Huskies

Olivia Shaw

The Owatonna boys basketball teams huddles up before tipoff of Tuesday’s game.

Audrey Simon, Writer

On Tuesday afternoon, the Owatonna Boys Basketball team had a heartbreaking loss against the Cretin-Derham Hall. The Huskies lost 51-52 to the Raiders, though this isn’t the end of the Huskies state-run. Owatonna will now enter into the consolation bracket and could fight their way to be consolation champions at the 2022 MSHSL State Tournament.

Led by a strong group of seniors, the Huskies have had an impressive overall season with many good things to look back on. Finishing off as Big 9 Conference Champions (going 22-0 in conference games) and back-to-back Section 1AAAA Champions is something the team can be proud of.

Though not ending how they had hoped, this will be a memorable team that showed the Huskies are a force to be reckoned with. Captain Tyrel Creger said, “I feel like I proved a lot of people wrong. I’m proud of myself and I’m proud of this team.” The boys basketball team has been playing together for years and have created a special bond. Head Coach Josh Williams said, “It’s been amazing throughout the course of their careers just to get to this point, I love ‘em, I told them not to hang their heads they did as much as they could.” The Huskies still get to play in at least one more game. If they win, they earn a second game to head to the consolation championship.

The first consolation game will be March 23 at 12:00 p.m. at the Concordia University-Gangelhoff Center vs. Moorhead High School.