Soaring out of OHS

Senior+Dylan+Meiners+holds+up+his+trophy+after+winning+fourth+place+in+Principles+of+Finance+at+DECA+State.+

Olivia Shaw

Senior Dylan Meiners holds up his trophy after winning fourth place in Principles of Finance at DECA State.

Alex Huemoeller, Writer

Being a student athlete and a leader of multiple clubs in OHS, senior Dylan Meiners always has something going on. Meiners is involved in Knowledge Bowl, Math League, DECA, winter drumline, marching band, tennis and cross country. He is the vice president of OHS Student Council, the OHS National Honor Society treasurer and the captain of the robotics team. Outside of school, Meiners is an active member of Boy Scouts. He was also voted as the OHS Homecoming King.Ā 

Recently, Meiners was accepted into the United States Air Force Academy. To be considered for the academy there is a list of things that have to be done. One needs to receive a congressional nomination, pass a medical review as well as a fitness assessment and have multiple interviews for consideration. Meiners finished all these steps and was appointed to the Academy in late March. Meiners said, ā€œI’m looking forward to going to the Academy because I want to serve my country. I have heard amazing things about the Academy and the things that people have gained from it.ā€ Meiners plans to attend the Air Force Academy after he graduates this spring.

I have a big thank you to anyone who helped me get into the Air Force Academy, whether that be teachers, my parents, mentors, anyone who gave me advice or helped me in any way. It would not have been possible without them

— Dylan Meiners

Along with his admittance into the Air Force Academy, Meiners has been excelling in his extracurricular activities. He recently made it to the DECA International Career Development Conference, otherwise known as DECA Nationals. After joining DECA just this year, Meiners was able to not only make it to state but place fourth while there qualifying him for the next step of competition. Meiners will compete in principles of finance against other first year DECA participants at the national conference. DECA adviser Mr. Scott Pierce said, ā€œIt is a tough thing to do, so we are proud of Dylan for making it here.ā€ The conference took place on April 23-25. Meiners is attending with the rest of the OHS district officers.Ā 

Meiners is also a captain of the Rebel Alliance which is the name of the OHS Robotics Team. The team recently competed at the Minneapolis 10,000 Lakes regional where they placed fourth overall. Meiners said, ā€œI’m very proud of the robotics team and what they have done this year.ā€ Meiners and the rest of the robotics team have worked together to achieve their goals.Ā 

Being so busy throughout high school, Dylan is prepared to take on the challenges ahead of him in the Air Force Academy. Meiners said, ā€œI have a big thank you to anyone who helped me get into the Air Force Academy, whether that be teachers, my parents, mentors, anyone who gave me advice or helped me in any way. It would not have been possible without them.ā€ Meiners is ready for the next step and his future. There are many people ready to support him.