OHS cruises down the track

Izaya Vazquez, Writer

The Boys Track and Field  team has been off to a hot start by getting first in their conference meet, and finishing third, fourth or fifth in non-conference meets. The competition has started to rise at big meets such as Stillwater, the Lakeville South Invite and the Lakeville North Mega Meet. The team has been up against the conference teams as well non-conference teams such as Stillwater, Wayzata, Blaine, Lakeville South and Lakeville North. The Minnesota State High School League has decided to grow another section class so small schools don’t compete against bigger schools. 

OHS is a larger team and has been moved up. The team will compete against the bigger schools including  Lakeville North, Lakeville South, Rochester Century, Rochester Mayo, Rochester John Marshall, Northfield and Farmington. The section meet will feature a lot of great athletes. Senior captain Connor Ginskey said,”The section competition will be a lot better than it is in the conference, so we need to take care of business at Big 9 and then prepare for the section.” Competition will become a lot more intense as the team tries to send multiple athletes to the state meet in every event. 

The team’s biggest strengths are the relays, field events and its sprinters. Every event and meet becomes important as the team gets closer to the Big 9 and Section 1AAA meets. Boys Track and Field Head Coach Kevin Selter said, “Right now everyone is healthy so there will not be a whole lot of difference as well as performance as a team.The team will do everything it can to keep everyone healthy as the season winds down. 

The team has some big milestones ahead and has aspirations to win a Big 9 and Section 1AAA  title. It is going to take a lot of dedication and grit to reach these goals. The next meet will be held at Rochester Mayo High School, and the top three varsity athletes will compete in each event on Thursday, May 5.