Dr. Strange finds major success at the box office

Ruby Garza, Writer

Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness has been one of the most highly anticipated movies this year, and it did not disappoint. Over the weekend, Dr. Strange’s second movie was able to conjure up a $185 million debut at the domestic box office. Although it comes nowhere close to Spider-Man: No Way Home’s $260 million debut, it was able to beat The Batman‘s $134 million debut, making it this year’s biggest box office opening so far. Currently the movie has a 75% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes

The incredibly detailed plot was probably what drew the crowd into theaters last Friday. In the movie, the beloved character Dr. Steven Strange, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, casts a forbidden spell that opens a portal to the multiverse. The plot takes many unexpected twists and turns while still bringing the iconic Marvel movie feel. Strange was not the only major superhero portrayed in the movie. Wanda Maximoff, also known as the Scarlet Witch, played by Elizabeth Olsen, was another prominent character. Maximoff’s involvement brought many references to the Disney+ t.v. show, Wandavison. Not only did the movie include Wandavison references, it also involved references to the show, What If…? , a series that follows a multiverse of possibilities by changing the way historic Marvel plot points take place. Considering the movie’s main plot was about the multiverse, involving the series What If…?, was a good connection made by director Sam Raimi.

Marvel undoubtedly used this movie to open a gateway to show the audience new and old characters for future movies. In the film, viewers are introduced to America Chavez, a Latino, LGBTQ+ character who has the power to travel between universes and has been a prominent figure in the Marvel comics. Not only are viewers introduced to new characters, they are also introduced to other Marvel characters that haven’t yet been introduced into the Cinematic Marvel Universe that the world has grown to know and love. One example of this is Professor Charles Xavier, known as the founder and leader of the X-Men. This re-introduction of the character could very well be Marvel hinting at a reboot or continuation of the X-Men films.

I miss when Marvel had simpler plots because now I feel like the movies throw so much at you and it takes away from the actual movie.

— Sadie Fox

Though the movie undoubtedly added much to the Marvel Cinematic Universe plot, some fans aren’t happy with how much attention to detail each movie requires. Sophomore Sadie Fox is a fan that wasn’t extremely content with the movie. Fox said, “I miss when Marvel had simpler plots because now I feel like the movies throw so much at you and it takes away from the actual movie.” The immense amount of detail in the Marvel Cinematic Universe might not be for everyone, but that doesn’t take away from how much love the series gets because of it. Dr. Strange will return for a third installment of the series in upcoming years.