Pathways of seniors after OHS

Ari Shornock, Writer

Seniors have many options after they finish their time at OHS. Four-year universities and two-year colleges, military training, internships and going into the workforce are just a couple of opportunities that students can pursue after graduation. During Compass time with advisers, students have had the opportunity to explore different options for their futures. College and Career Fairs and the Made in Owatonna Days, hosted by the high school, have opened possibilities for all students to explore numerous interests. The Class of 2022 represents the many of the courses of action that a high school senior can take.

College Ready:
Many graduates, 61.8% of 2021 high school graduates (bls.gov), enroll in post-secondary education to pursue an interest or career. Options include attending a four-year university or a two-year college.

Career Ready:
Students can also enter the workforce directly out of high school. This pathway can include anything from entering the workforce, interning, joining an apprenticeship or going to trade school.

Military:
Students may choose to serve in the military after graduation. Options include joining the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy.

Exploration:
Some students may not know exactly what they want to do, so they take a gap year. This gap year can include working, traveling, spending time with family or pursuing a hobby.