OHS music ensembles finish off the year with Pops Concert

Olivia McDermott

OHS music ensembles prepare for Pops Concert.

Olivia McDermott, Writer

Every year, the music department at OHS concludes the school year  with the Pops Concert. This tradition at OHS is a fun way for all the music ensembles to perform together, and includes all three music programs at OHS: band, orchestra, and choir, which each include three ensembles. Each ensemble will perform well-known pop songs as a fun way to show off their musical talents. This is a much-awaited event that all performers and spectators have been looking forward to. This concert is meant to bring joy to all in attendance. The concert is informal and students of the music programs wear fun clothing to match the Pops theme. The students have put in countless hours of preparation for the concert to make sure it is an event that goes well. First year Choir Director Mr. Brandon Berger said, “I think it will be fun to have such a big audience, as I know this event is very well attended.” The Pops Concert is the biggest concert of the year. Additionally, it brings in the most parents, family members and friends.

Many students are looking forward to being able to showcase their talents that they have worked hard to prepare. Varsity band member and junior Amelia Shives said, “I am excited to play our song that we have worked hard on for the last couple months.” This is a long-awaited performance by every member of all ensembles. This concert is especially anticipated because it is the only concert where members of band, orchestra, and choir all play in the same concert. Junior Olivia Vieths said, “I am looking forward to listening to music from different music groups that I don’t normally get to hear.”

The concert will be a unique and fun way to finish off the year. It will be held on Tuesday, May 17 at 7:00 p.m. in the OHS gymnasium. Spectators will need to  purchase their tickets ahead of time using Hometown Ticketing. It is $8 for adults and $5 for students and 62 and up. Activity passes will also be accepted. Doors for the concert will open at 6:00 p.m.