The Class of 2022 awaits graduation ceremony and final events

Evan Dushek and Nick Williams

Only 11 days remain of the Class of 2022’s senior year at Owatonna High School, and excitement and anticipation is in the air. OHS seniors will experience their last day of high school on Tuesday, May 31.  For the seniors’ last day, each student will bring their cap and gown in preparation for the elementary walkthrough. Shortly after, students will be encouraged to place their cap and gowns in their vehicles or to store them on racks provided by OHS, before gathering in the gymnasium to watch the Class of 2022 Senior Video. The seniors will then conclude their final day as usual, with the exception of chromebook turn-in which will be available after school that Tuesday. 

The seniors will then be off for the rest of the week leading up Friday, June 3 at 1:00 p.m. for the mandatory commencement rehearsal.

The OHS Commencement Ceremony will be held that evening at 7:00 p.m. The ceremony has returned to the OHS football field for the second straight year. On stage, all retired teachers, as well as current teachers that have been directly selected by the senior class will be alongside Owatonna administration and the counselors that will be reading each student’s name. Seniors Dakota Kath and Fardouza Farah have been selected to speak on behalf of the Class of 2022. As commencement continues, each student will walk across the stage to receive their diploma, then, lastly, the class will be recognized as a whole as they exit to receive their official diploma inside the building of agriculture.  In case commencement is prohibited by weather conditions, Sunday, June 5 at 7:00 p.m. will be the postponed date.

This year’s senior class has been through a lot of ups and downs throughout their four years at Owatonna High School. This has forged them into the students and people that they are today. These students have done a great job of battling through adversity which will help them immensely in the future. Principal Kory Kath is proud of the OHS Class of 2022. Principal Kath said, “The Class of 2022 has stayed very unified and connected. If there was ever an opportunity for the class to come together for anything whether it’s a school event or activity, they supported one another.” 

While commencement marks the end of one phase of life, it also marks the beginning of another. Senior Drew Randall said, “Commencement is a turning point in most people’s lives. I think everyone is moving on to a new beginning and furthering their lives, whether it is college or a job or anything like that.” To the Class of 2022, commencement also symbolizes many years of education finally paying off. Senior Lucas Jensen said, “I find it really rewarding to see all the years of hard work paying off.”

As the Class of 2022’s days at OHS wear thin and the seniors prepare for what lies ahead, senior Levi Kubicek said, “I am really excited to move on to the next chapter of my life.” Only a few short weeks of class and the commencement ceremony remain before they proceed to their bright futures.