Amanda Clubb

Mr. Saehler feeling excited for the new year at the OHS.

Mr. Daniel Saehler joins OHS staff as new computer science teacher

OHS has a new addition to the math department this year. Mr. Daniel Saehler is a teacher of seven years who has recently joined the OHS staff. He will be teaching Intermediate Algebra, Computer Science I and AP Computer Science Principles. 

Saehler received a math degree with a focus on secondary education from the University of Iowa. His teachers from middle and high school are what inspired him to teach. Saehler said, “I had really good math teachers when I was in junior high and high school, so I felt like it was my opportunity to give back and be that same kind of teacher for future students.” 

Before coming to OHS, Saehler was a math teacher at the Owatonna Middle School. He said, “I felt like I was ready for a change, and some members of the math department here reached out to see if I was interested in teaching computer science classes, so I figured it felt like the right time.”

Even though he is new to the OHS staff, Saehler has already been involved in the OHS community as the Knowledge Bowl adviser. In addition to leading the Knowledge Bowl team, Saehler enjoys supporting Owatonna’s various athletic teams and arts programs by attending concerts, games and plays.

I like that he lets me go at my own pace, and if I need help, he will always be there to help me no matter where I’m at.

— Braden Leonard

Many of Saehler’s computer science students enjoy the opportunity to learn at their own pace. Senior computer science student Braden Leonard said, “I like that he lets me go at my own pace, and if I need help, he will always be there to help me no matter where I’m at.”

During his career at OHS, Saehler is looking forward to developing the computer science program, moving to the new high school and helping his students become the best version of themselves. He can be found in room G-306.