Ava Kleeberger

Ms. Asmus excited to teach for the OHS Choral Program

Ms. Asmus begins a new era in the OHS music department

Ms. Paula Asmus is the new choir director at Owatonna High School. She teaches Huskies, Varsity and Concert Choir students. This is her first year teaching in Owatonna, but not her first year as a music teacher. Ms. Asmus is originally from Farmington, Minn., and decided to apply here when she saw a teaching position open up at the high school. Ms. Asmus marks a new era in the OHS music department, being the newest choir teacher to join the staff. Ms. Asmus said, “I’ve heard amazing things about the Owatonna choral program, so I was really excited to apply when the position opened.” 

Ms. Asmus received her degree in vocal music education from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minn. Asmus chose to pursue music education because of her own high school choir teacher. She said, “I had a wonderful high school choral director that really inspired me to follow the same path.”

Ms. Asmus has many goals for her students this year. Ms. Asmus said, “My goal for us as a program this year is for the students to feel like they have grown and learned a lot and built a community.” Asmus seems to already be succeeding with this. OHS Concert Choir member Paige Anselmo said, “She’s a really good teacher. She’s obviously new to it, she graduated in 2020, but I think she’s done a really good job thus far.” 

Outside of being the choir director at OHS, Ms. Asmus is the music director for the musicals. She also enjoys golfing, spending time with her friends and family, along with playing trivia. Ms. Asmus shares some advice for her current and future choir students. She said, “Be kind to yourself. I feel like in high school, it’s really easy to become involved in so many things.  And it’s really hard to expect perfectionism out of yourself, when your best is really good enough.” 

With only a few weeks of the new school year under her belt, Ms. Asmus is already making a great impression among her students. The choir students this year are excited to see what ideas a new director can bring them. Stop by and say hi to Ms. Asmus in room D-201.  

Magnet • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in