Heading to the parade

photo submitted

This years Owatonna parade starts at 1:30 and travels through downtown.

Kate Sande and Crystal Garza

New adviser Wendy Eggermont, with the support of staff, juniors and seniors, put a great amount of work towards the 2022 Owatonna High School homecoming parade which will be held on Friday, Sept. 30. Junior Nathaniel Ranslow, is homecoming chair and sophomores Theresa Wunderlich and Cora Hess are parade chairs. These students have helped script out this year’s parade.

The process of the parade can be difficult, which explains why there are many people involved. Prior to school starting, student council collaborated and shared what they wanted the homecoming week to look like and what the events were going to be. Student Council president Lileigh Nguyen said, “The hardest part has been coordinating so many different people and activities.” Putting on the parade takes a lot of behind the scenes work. Nguyen said, “We send out a google form for everyone to order supplies then the clubs come in and get to work.”

Afton Torabpour, a sophomore at OHS helped decorate the float for Girls Swim and Dive this year. Torabpour said, “We have our theme this year, last year we didn’t so we came more prepared.” A common element for this year’s floats was representing what their club or sport was all about. Phrases were added to the backs of the floats to excite the huskies for the homecoming football game that will be later that evening. Along with the floats in the parade, the marching band, dance team and cheer team will perform. The 2022 Homecoming Royalty will also be in the parade.

The 2021 Owatonna Homecoming Parade celebrated sports, clubs and homecoming royalty. It was held between OHS and the fairgrounds due to construction. This year the beautiful new streetscape allows Owatonna to go back to old traditions and have the parade route go through downtown.Ms. Eggermont said, “The downtown community has been really supportive and has really wanted it to come back downtown again.” Businesses find this event to be a good community builder; they have been window decorating to draw the public back.

Students are excited as well. Parade chair Cora Hess said, “It’s exciting getting to return back downtown for the parade because it’s how things always were growing up and I am glad that I get to help and be a part of that ongoing tradition.” However, not everyone has experienced a downtown Owatonna Homecoming Parade before. Having the parade back downtown this year not only allows new members of the community to join in Owatonna’s traditions, but allows everyone to come together to unite as a whole to keep these traditions alive. 

The parade will start at 1:30 p.m. and route will begin on E. Broadway Street and end on E.East Rose Street. Students and other participants will head up East Rose Street to head back to OHS up school street.