Girls soccer looking to bounce back after rough start

Skylar Krenzelok

Sophomore Kennedy Schammel with ball at feet looking to pass to Sarah Snitker.

Kate Havelka, Writer

After a slow start to the season, the Owatonna Girls Soccer Team has bounced back in a big way. They have an overall record of 8-6 and are in fourth place in the Big Nine Conference. The Huskies have also won three of their last four in conference play.

The Huskies started their season with three straight non-conference losses to Lakeville North, Farmington and Prior Lake. After three losses in a row, the Huskies had to figure out what was not working for them. Head coach Nate Gendron said, ”We got off to a start we did not want to get to. But since then we’ve been off kind of firing on all cylinders. Kind of on all aspects things have been working to our favor. So I would say so far things are looking pretty promising.” The team realized what their weaknesses were and were able to work on them for future games. They also picked up their intensity during practice so they were more prepared for their conference games. 

Those adjustments quickly made an impact on the season as the Huskies went on to win multiple games including a big win against Rochester Mayo. Senior captain Ezra Oien said, “Our game against Mayo having a 5-0 sweep. It was a pretty big sweep and we were expecting it to be closer than that. We really just showed up and played together as a team. I ultimately think that was one of the best games and it’s exciting to see.”

The Huskies seem to have good team chemistry this year. Oien said, “The team’s been super good this year. I feel like we’ve bonded really well, over the past couple of weeks. The soccer season is short but we have come together as a family and we are also so close and love being together.” The team holds a spaghetti dinner before every home game and has had a team brunch at senior captain Abby Vetsch’s house. The team also does pre game tik toks before almost every game. 

Next, the Huskies face the Mankato East Cougars on Tuesday, Oct. 4 at 7:00 p.m. at the Lincoln Soccer Complex.Â