New head coach is killing it this season

Lauren Bangs, Writer

This fall, the OHS Volleyball team begins the season with a new head coach. Ms.Rachel Malo fills the role of head coach for the 2022 volleyball season. Ms. Malo has been involved in volleyball in Owatonna since she was in third grade starting at the Park and Rec level. She played all the way through high school and made it to the state tournament twice. Being a Huskie herself, she is proud to be back here where her volleyball career started. She ended up pursuing softball in college instead of volleyball. At Gustavus Adolphus College she was an education major and played softball for the college.

When she took a head coaching position she was nervous but excited to start a new chapter. She said, “I think the ability to kind of be able to create a program for yourself is exciting.” She knew the girls and their skill levels and decided she wanted to lead this program to success. Coach Malo has been coaching for seven years and thought it was time to lead the volleyball program with a strong head. Ms. Malo said, “My goal for the girls is to learn to fall in love with what they’re doing and be passionate about it and be confident in it and build that self confidence.” As she builds confidence as head coach and as the girls learn to trust the process, the OHS volleyball program will head in the right direction.

Trust and confidence allowed Malo to learn what the girls needed and have a successful season. Senior captain Ava Eitrheim said, “She has a winning mindset and a winning attitude.” The girls have been working hard to make the top three in the Big Nine Conference this season. 

Come watch Coach Malo and the rest of the volleyball team during their next home game on Oct. 11 at 7:15 p.m in the OHS gym.