Signing on

Three OHS students sign on for Division II sports

March 19, 2014

Although the signing of letters of intent is short, it means a lot to the three athletes who have worked so hard to get there. These three students have provided the OHS with excellent performances throughout the years and represented the OHS with integrity. These great athletes will be missed at the high school, but will surely be successful in whatever they choose to do in the future.

Senior Carter McCauley is known for his kicking on the OHS football team and plans on continuing his career with the Winona State University Warriors. “It feels good to be part of a family,” he said for one of the reasons he wanted to continue playing football in college. McCauley will be working towards a major in biochemistry, focusing on pre-med.

Senior Riley Thompson will be attending University of Minnesota, Crookston Golden Eagles with a major in forensic science. Thompson has mainly been playing baseball at the OHS, although he has played a variety of other sports at the high school. He will be playing right field for Crookston. One of the best parts of baseball is, “Hanging out with the guys,” he said. Thompson is hoping to make state in baseball for his senior year of high school.

Senior Haley Paulson has played soccer for the OHS girls’ soccer team in the position of goalie for four years. She is planning to continue her soccer career for Wayne State WildCats in Nebraska. She is planning on getting a major in graphics design. As she continues her soccer career Paulson said she, “Just wants to keep going and not stop.”

This is the second group to sign on for a post- secondary athletic career and all three will go on for Division II schools.