Taylor Swift releases her tenth studio album

Luca Gfrerer, Writer

On Aug. 28, Taylor Swift shocked the crowd at the 2022 MTV Video Music Awards by announcing the upcoming release of her new album, Midnights. This is her tenth studio album of her 18 year career in the music industry. After Swift’s break from attending award shows and releasing music, many fans were ecstatic about the arrival of Midnights.

Many of Swift’s followers were extremely surprised to hear that they will be receiving a completely new album due to the fact that she has been focusing on re-recording her previous albums. It is well known that Swift gained rights to all of her songs original recordings in 2020, and is now working on remaking her first five albums so she can own every one of her creations. Because of this, the arrival of Midnights came as a complete surprise, and in an attempt to please her fans, Swift released the album on all music streaming platforms on Oct. 21. 

Inspired and written about many sleepless nights, Midnights includes 13 tracks and a collaboration with singer/songwriter Lana Del Rey. The biggest surprise on this album, however, was when fans discovered that Swift dropped seven more singles early in the morning on the  twenty-first, and announced Midnights (3 a.m. Edition). In Swift’s note announcing the new record she said, “This is a collection of music written in the middle of the night, a journey through terrors and sweet dreams.” 

According to billboard.com, the album sold over 800,000 copies within the first day of its release, and since then has become the top selling album of 2022 by surpassing Harry’s House, which only sold 620,000 in its first week. Midnights can be bought on CD, cassette, vinyl and downloaded digitally. Junior Kiley Knudson said, “I decided to buy three vinyls, and one of them is signed and three CD’s. I do not think this is the end of my spending on Midnights merch.”

Despite the fact that Swift has been a part of the music industry for nearly two decades, she continues to gain worldwide fans with every new post, album release and public appearance. Throughout the years of fame she has received hate for her work, but that has never slowed her down. Swift is a fantastic example of a powerful and successful woman in the media, and she is a great role model for young girls everywhere.

Just when her fans think she’s done her best, Swift outsells herself again and again. Sophomore Emery Vick said, “I think the album is an amazing, angelic and beautiful work of art.” Midnights allows Swift to be vulnerable, and it shows the restless, wild and adventurous side of her seemingly glamorous life. Just like every other one of Swift’s albums, Midnights is bound to be a monumental success and is now available for streaming on Spotify, YouTube, Tidal, Deezer, Amazon and Apple Music.