Huskies close out 99 years of greatness with a win

Justin Gleason, Writer

The Owatonna Football team played the final game held at the Owatonna High School Football Field last Saturday against the Northfield Raiders. This game came down to the very end in a thrilling comeback win for the Huskies. Owatonna ended their regular season with an overall record of 4-4 and received the two seed for the section playoffs. Owatonna is concluding playing on this field after 99 years.

The Huskies compete in the section championship game on Saturday, November 5, against Rochester Mayo at 7 p.m. at Rochester Mayo High School. Buy tickets here.

Last down legacies

Mr. Jeff Williams is in his 27th year as head coach for the varsity football team. He has had many great memories on this field throughout his coaching career. Coach Williams said, “My favorite memory here is probably from 2007 when we beat Mayo. They were the powerhouse of the Big 9 for years and we took them to overtime and kicked a field goal to win. This was a turning point in our program from being a .500 team to winning Big 9 and section championships.” 

The field holds the legacy of many great players and coaches that have played on it. Coach Williams said, “It’s cool because you feel like you’re part of something way bigger than yourself. Everybody has their memories from these past 99 years and it’s just cool to be able to play a small part in that.” Coach Williams is looking forward to playing at the new high school next year but will miss playing at the current high school for so many years. 

Senior captain Drew Kretlow plays a crucial role for the Huskies on both sides of the ball as he plays full back and linebacker. Kretlow has been a part of the varsity team for three years and has been a part of many games. Kretlow said, “There have been so many great players that have passed through the door and being able to close that out is just really special.” Every player that has stepped on the OHS football field has memories they will never forget. Kretlow said, “I don’t have just one memory that comes to mind but all the memories packed together with all my teammates have made some great experiences and something that I’ll never forget for the rest of my life.”