Lauren Bangs kills it on the court to end her high school career

Sky Krenzelok

Senior Lauren Bangs jumping up to block the Winona players hit.

Peter Swehla, Writer

With the seniors playing their final volleyball games for Owatonna, the class of 2023 had many memorable and unforgettable moments on the volleyball court. After a new coaching staff took over this offseason, the team fought game in and game out and ended the season with an overall record of 10-12 and a conference record of 7-4.

One of the players that stood out this season was senior Lauren Bangs. Bangs has played varsity volleyball for the Owatonna Huskies since her junior year. As a junior, Bangs was a key rotational player in the Huskies lineup. As the class of 2022 graduated, Bangs knew she had to step up and fill the gaps created. 

Bangs had a huge swing for the Owatonna Huskies on the outside. With an average of six kills per game, you could tell she always had the knack to annihilate the ball to the other side for a point. Head coach Rachel Malo said, “One of my favorite things to see is when Lauren has that look in her eyes on a perfect set.” Not only did Bangs play a huge role in the Huskies offense, but she really stepped up defensively which was a new role for her this season. Senior captain Ava Eitrheim said, “Lauren had a very good attitude and great work ethic.” 

Bangs has been playing volleyball since third grade in Park and Rec. She fell in love with the sport due its intense nature and the people that surrounded her. Bangs said, “My biggest accomplishment would be playing volleyball at the next level and getting an offer to play at college.” Bangs plans on continuing her academic and volleyball career at either Augsburg or Concordia Moorhead. 

The team graduates nine seniors this year. The leadership of the seniors and Bangs will be missed.