Lacing up for the season

Sky Krenzelok

Sophomore Alia Kubicek tracks down the puck as Mankato East enters the zone.

Abby Vetsch, Writer

The OHS Girls Hockey season is officially underway as they look to build off of last year’s title of Big 9 conference champs. The team graduated a total of three seniors after the 2021-2022 season allowing the majority of the team to return for the 2022-2023 season. 

Thus far, they have competed in a total of five scrimmages and three conference games. Coach Tony Cloud reflected on those games. He said, “The team looked good, we have been playing really aggressive and really quick.” The girls are excited for what this season has to offer. 

Many of the girls on the team have played together for years, valuing the team chemistry they have created. Team bonding is a huge aspect in maintaining that team chemistry. Some of the bonding includes team pumpkin carving, overnight trip in Maple Grove, listening to their pregame playlist before games and participating in secret santa. 

Speed is one of the team’s greatest strengths. Coach Cloud said, “The speed that we play at and the hockey sense we have makes us really dangerous.” With the team’s strengths, the girls set high goals for the rest of the season. Senior captain Ezra Oien said, “Two of our main goals are win the Big 9 and win the section advancing to state.” The team plans to achieve these high goals each and every time they step foot on the ice or in the weight room. 

The team is putting in the time and effort into this year’s season. Oien said, “The girls have put in a lot of time whether that was during the summer or in season participating in dryland, lifting and on ice practice.” The girls are excited for the upcoming season and the potential they hold. 

The girls hockey team will play this Thursday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m. against the Winona Winhawks at the Four Seasons Centre.