Boys Hockey skates into a good start

Trever Schirmer

KEEP AWAY. Sophomore Andy Mitchell skating to keep the puck away from the Mankato East player.

Charles Valento, Writer

After last year, the boys hockey team is looking to turn it around by making a deep run in sections and ending with an appearance at the state hockey tournament. The team ended last season with an overall record of 10-16-1. 

The boys hockey team is a very young team with only six returning varsity players. Senior captain Benny Bangs said, “I’m excited to see how far we can get with this team, we have a really young team so once they learn how competitive high school hockey is l think we could make it far.” Although they are young, the team has high hopes for the season.

The boys hockey team started off the season with an overtime thriller against Mankato East. Junior Brody Goodnature started the game off with a first period goal to give Owatonna the lead. Coming out of intermission, Mankato East came down and scored early to tie it up. The rest of the second and third period was a battle but ended up going to overtime. Overtime ended quickly when sophomore Andy Mitchell received a pass from junior Joe Webster and Mitchell hit the top right corner of the net to start Owatonna off with a 1-0 record.

The team added on a second win on the road against Faribault. They dominated from start to finish with a 4-0 victory. They are now tied for the top spot in the Big 9  Conference. The coaches have been satisfied with how the season has gone so far. Assistant coach James Wagoner said, “I’m excited to see these young players develop and watch this team get better and better.”

The Owatonna Boys Hockey Team is hoping to reel in their fourth win to start the season 4-0 against Spring Lake Park on Friday, Dec. 16 at the Four Seasons Centre.  They also play Osseo at home on Dec. 17.