Big hopes for Knowledge Bowl

Torrin Smith

The OHS Knowledge Bowl Team practicing for their first meet.

Torrin Smith, Writer

The Knowledge Bowl is a team competition similar to Jeopardy. Two teams answer questions about all of the areas of learning. The questions that get asked are about areas that maybe do not get taught in school, points are earned by verbally stating the answer or some rounds by writing it out. 

The OHS Knowledge Bowl team consists of ten teams. Recently the top team has had lots of success in The Knowledge Bowl. They have proven that they can win lots of meets and even compete in  the state meet this year. They are coming off of a second place finish at last year’s state meet. With most seniors returning this year, they are coming back stronger than ever planning to win it all.  

You should join Knowledge Bowl because it’s not fiercely competitive, you get to miss some school, you get to meet new people and it’s just fun.

— Ethan Tolman

Senior David Smith has been doing knowledge bowl for all four years of high school. His team has been competing together for a while now and has chemistry. Smith said, “Our team is hoping to win a lot of meets this year and hopefully win the state competition, moving up from our second place finish last year.” While students might not be as familiar with Knowledge Bowl, there are many reasons to join. Knowledge Bowl member senior Ethan Tolman said, “You should join Knowledge Bowl because it’s not fiercely competitive, you get to miss some school, you get to meet new people and it’s just fun.”

While Knowledge Bowl found recent success, it is hoping to have even more. Head adviser Mr. Dan Saehler said, “We’ve got lots of kids this year, so I would expect probably at least one team to qualify for state this year. If not it is going to depend on how the team qualifications break down.” Mr. Saehler enjoys coaching Knowledge Bowl because it is intriguing to see how the teams all work together and seeing the different dynamics of each team. Knowledge Bowl also is a really interesting way to get to interact with not only kids from Owatonna, but from other schools as well. Knowledge Bowl is a really good way for students to be able to connect with kids from other schools.

Knowledge Bowl teams compete in five meets. After the five meets they go to sub regional and regional meets. Then If they have done well enough to qualify for state they get a chance to participate at the state meet. Knowledge Bowl has their first meet on Friday, Jan. 6.