OHS student athletes commit to playing at the next level

Justin Gleason, Writer

Plenty of OHS senior student-athletes have already committed to colleges to continue their athletic and academic careers. Some fall and winter sport athletes who have made their commitments already are Lauren Bangs, Drew Henson, Logan Norrid, Ezra Oien, Cael Robb, Ava Stanchina, Peter Swehla.

Bangs will be attending Concordia College, Moorhead to play Division III volleyball. Bangs said, “I enjoy volleyball and it’s always been a dream of mine to play in college.” Bangs made a big impact on the Huskies team this year. She said, “I chose this school because the campus was beautiful and the coaches made the school feel like home.” She also competes in track and field. Bangs is planning to major in psychology and minor in criminal justice.

Henson plays soccer and football for Owatonna. He is continuing his football career at the Division II level for the University of Minnesota-Duluth. He has been the kicker and punter for the Huskies for the past two years. He said, “I love the sport of football and I’ve always wanted to play in college.” Henson was one of the biggest weapons for the football team this past year. He said, “I chose UMD because they have had a great football program for many years. I really like their coaches and culture, and the beautiful town the campus is in.” Henson is planning on majoring in professional sales at UMD.

Norrid competes in swimming and is headed to the University of Rhode Island to compete at the Division I level. Norrid said, “It’s been a dream of mine since I was very little to compete at the highest level I could, whether that was the Olympics or college.” Norrid consistently worked hard every day to become better at swimming. She said, “I chose Rhode Island because I really liked their coach and he cared about me. They also have everything I am looking for academically.” Norrid is planning on majoring in business.

Oien is going to continue her hockey career at the University of Vermont to play Division I hockey next year. Oien said, “Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve wanted to play at the next level and push myself to be better each day.” This mindset helped Oien reach her goals of Division I hockey. Oien said, “I chose Vermont because they are a highly competitive Division I school. I met their players and coaches and they were all super cool.” Oien was a captain for the soccer team as well as the hockey team this season. She plans on majoring in exercise science or biology. 

Robb is going to wrestle at the University of Nebraska-Kearney. He has wrestled since he was  a little kid and is one of the key leaders and captains returning to the team this year. Robb said, “Ever since freshman year, I’ve wanted to wrestle in college.” Not only will he be wrestling in college, he will be competing at one of the top Division II wrestling schools in the nation. Robb said, “They are a dynasty program. I like the way their coaches run their program and the school is a great fit for me.” Robb is planning on majoring in sports management.

Stanchina competes in soccer and hockey at OHS. She is going to continue to play soccer at North Dakota State University. She said, “I’ve always liked playing soccer and the club that I played for helped me get recruited and it all just fell into place.” Stanchina is excited to continue playing soccer at a Division I program. She said, “I chose NDSU because I really like the culture and how welcoming the coaches were. I also like the distance NDSU is away from home.”  Stanchina is planning on majoring in exercise science. 

Swehla is going to Crown College where he will continue his football career at the Division III level. Swehla said, “It’s always been a dream of mine since I was a kid to play college football.” Swehla played wide receiver for the Huskies this year. He said, “The coaches treated me like family and it felt like home.” Swehla is also on the track and field team. Swehla plans on majoring in either biology or chemistry.

More athletes plan to commit before National Signing Day on Feb. 1. Stay tuned to OHS Magnet for more information about commitments.