Wrestling their way to success

Sky Krenzelok

PIN IT TO WIN IT. Sophomore Blake Fitcher inches away from pinning the Austin wrestler.

Dez Nichols, Writer

After losing many seniors from last season, Owatonna Wrestling has reloaded and has high hopes and goals for this season. Their season is off to a great start with the team earning a record of 4-3. There is a ton of potential for the team as they progress throughout the winter season. 

Some notable losses from last season’s team are Jacob Reinardy, who is now wrestling at MSU-Morris, Landen Johnson, wrestling at NDSU, Rian Grundwald, wrestling at the UW-Stevens Point and Kanin Hable, wrestling at Simpson. With all of these leaders and great athletes leaving, the team will have to adapt and find some new leaders for the coming years. 

This season, the wrestling team is led by senior captain Cael Robb. Robb said, “We’re kind of underdogs right now. We took fifth in the Big 9 last year so I think that we could surprise a lot of people.” Robb and the wrestling team will have lots of success this season if they continue to win and keep up the attitude of betting on themselves. The positivity from the players and coaches reflect the Huskies strong start to the season. 

The coaches also realize the potential for not only this season but years to come. Assistant coach Mr. Tyler Keller said, “We got some good leaders in the room that are kind of shaping and molding those guys into better athletes and better wrestlers.” The team has a young core that will develop in the coming years and will achieve big things. 

The Huskies next match is at home on Dec. 28 at 1:30 p.m.