My parent is my teacher

Crystal Garza

OHS students Noah Roberts, Norah Kath and Ava Eitrheim and their teaching parents

Crystal Garza, Writer

For some OHS students it can be hard to slip away from their parents. They get to school and their parents are in the school halls. Around 80 percent of students have their parents involved in their education some way or another, but some parents are more involved than others. Having parents at school is okay for some students, but not ideal for everyone. At OHS most of the time if there is a name in common with a friend, don’t be surprised if they are related to someone in the school.

Senior Noah Roberts and sophomore Norah Kath, shared how they felt about their parents being present at school. Roberts expressed how having his older brother had given him an idea on what it would look like having his mom OHS Spanish teacher  Ms.Snyder-Roberts at school. Although Kath is the first of Principal Kath kids to enter high school, she said that she would like to pass on some of her advice to her younger brother.

There can be positives and negatives to having a parent in the building. Roberts said, “Having my mom at school and people having her in class sucks because my teachers can just go talk to my mom about me.” To take on another perspective Kath said, “I wish there was a little more separation. I’m worried about my friends or known peers getting in trouble with my dad, and then complaining to me about my dad.” On the other hand, students are able to create a stronger bond with teachers they have known for years and know exactly what will keep their friends out of trouble. 

I wish there was a little more separation. I’m worried about my friends or known peers getting in trouble with my dad, and then complaining to me about my dad.

— Norah Kath

The adults likewise are not worried about their relationship with their children, but how others will treat their children. Principal Kath said, “I’d hope that nobody would hold them accountable for something that they might be upset with me about. There is a separation between us. I am my own person and they are their own person.” Parents want the best for their children and it becomes difficult when there is no separation between school and home. Ms. Snyder-Roberts did not have her son in class this year, but she has had him in the past. Ms. Snyder-Roberts said, “It was a little awkward, because he’s in my class and I’m in a totally different role than mom.” 

With everything that can be troublesome there are some perks that can come with having parents at school. From the students’ perspective, always having a ride to school, being able to easily communicate with their parent, gaining a bigger bond and having homework help. Parents also have some advantages having their children at school, Ms. Snyder Roberts is able to rely on Noah if she were to have car troubles and is grateful she could help when he was first starting out as a freshman. 

I’d hope that nobody would hold them accountable for something that they might be upset with me about. There is a separation between us. I am my own person and they are their own person.

— Principal Kath

Because Kath’s parent is not a teacher, things she can help with look different compared to Roberts. Principal Kath has a different way of looking at things considering he’s in a different role. He had some advice for his kids He said, “Respect and it’s not just about tolerating people, it’s about truly respecting people in the way where I value you. If there’s something that my kids can do I want them to model that.” Although to both the kids and parents there are some negatives to having each other at the same school, they both believe it to be beneficial and an overall bonding experience.