Girls basketball has hopes to bounce back

Sophomore+guard+Maryn+Pool+drives+in+for+a+tough+layup.+

Peter Swehla

Sophomore guard Maryn Pool drives in for a tough layup.

Trever Schirmer, Writer

The Owatonna Girls Basketball team have had a rocky start to their season with a record of 5-10. In  the Big Nine, they have a record of 5-6, but are ready to make a comeback. The Huskies have been on a hot streak as of lately, winning their past three games with one of them being against the top team in the conference, Mankato East.

Starting off their season they had some injuries that hurt key areas of the team. 

We’ve had some injuries from the beginning of the season until now, and girls have stepped up to help impact the team,” Head coach Lindsey Hugsted-Vaa said. “We can always improve on boxing out and rebounding. We’ve done a better job with reducing turnovers and taking care of the ball. Shooting percentages will continue to climb as the season goes on and we get more game reps and quality shooting in practice.”

I’m really excited now that we’ve entered the back half of the season because we’ve seen all of the teams once before, and now we’re starting to figure out our offense.

— Kiara Gentz

With this rough start to the season they have been practicing extra hard showing their dedication to the team. Because of this the Huskies are ecstatic coming into the back half of the season ready to come back for a rematch  on teams that got the best of them the last time they played. 

“I’m  really excited now that we’ve entered the back half of the season because we’ve seen all of the teams once before, and now we’re starting to figure out our offense, so we should be able to get some wins against teams that we lost to earlier in the season,” said senior captain Kiara Gentz. The Huskies hope to pick up some Big 9 Conference wins before the start of section play.

Gentz said,  “Our team has only been playing together for a little over a year, so we’re still learning how to work together and move the ball around; however, we’re a family on and off the court, and we’re always doing our best to support each other which makes a big difference out on the court”. 

When it is all said and done these girls are here to have fun competing at a high level. 

The next girls basketball game will be on Tuesday, Jan. 24 at 7:30 p.m. against the Albert Lea Tigers at Albert Lea High School.