OHS Boys Hockey battling through injuries

Jayden Omangi

Sophomore defensemen Blake Davidson passes the puck up the ice.

Charles Valento, writer

The OHS Boys Hockey team started off the season to a good start with a 3-0 record. The Huskies however could not carry the win streak on and fell to a 5-8 record. With the start of the season having a season ending injury to junior Owen Beyer, who was the leading goal scorer in the previous year. Other injuries have caused some of the team’s starters to miss some considerable time. Because of this, the Huskies have had underclassmen having to step up to take in and fill in bigger roles on the team.

The Owatonna Boys Hockey team is coached by David Fromm.  

Coach Fromm said, “I’m trying to change the culture here in Owatonna and inspire the youth.” 

The team is looking to start a new culture and set up the future success for the Huskies. 

The Huskies have been in many close games with three  of the games reaching Overtime and coming out with two  wins and one loss.

The one loss coming from Hastings in an overtime thriller going to the last two minutes. Hastings then went on to score on the powerplay.

The Huskies leading scorer is sophomore Andy Mitchell with six goals and five  assists followed by senior Benny Bangs with three goals and six assists.

Bangs said, “I feel like the whole team is starting to understand what it takes to do well in high school hockey so I’m excited to see what we can do from here.” 

As the season progresses the team is looking to grow and improve.

The Boys Hockey team’s next game is Thursday, Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. against the Mankato West Scarlets in Mankato.