OHS student athletes are ready for the next level

Designed by Teagun Ahrens

Seventeen of Owatonna’s student athletes will be signing to schools. around the country

NCAA National Signing Day ceremony will be held on Wednesday, February 1, at 2:50 p.m. in the small group forum. OHS is proud to announce that there are seventeen athletes signing to universities around the country. National signing day is a big deal for many athletes around the nation, it gives them an opportunity to sign their national letter of intent to play sports at the collegiate level.

Signing Day is a huge part of the student athletes and their families lives, it gives them a chance to be recognized for all their hard work and dedication they have put in throughout their high school career. 

“We like to recognize the kids that are committing to go to the next level, because it’s two fold, it’s not only looking to continue your athletic career but more importantly it’s committing to continue your education to the next level as well,” said Owatonna’s Athletic Director Marc Achterkirch.

These OHS athletes will get the chance to get up on stage with their parents in front of the local media and sign their letter of intent. The letter of intent is an official contract for Division I and Division II. For Division III and NJCAA athletes it is not a binding contract ,but it still gives them the chance to be recognized for what they have accomplished. 

Students signing on NCAA Signing Day are (in alphabetical order):  Teagun Ahrens for baseball at Rochester Community and Technical College, Lauren Bangs for volleyball at Concordia College Moorhead, Taylor Busho for clay target shooting at Upper Iowa University, Kaelyn Frear-Boerner for soccer at University of Minnesota Morris, Kiara Gentz for cross country and track at University of Wisconsin La Crosse, Justin Gleason for track and field at Northwestern College, Drew Henson for football at University of Minnesota Duluth, Trevor Hiatt for cross country and track at University of South Dakota, Carter Johnson for track and field at South Dakota State University, Owen Korble for track and field at Minnesota State University Moorhead, Annika Moran for Lacrosse at Quincy University, Ezra Oien for hockey at University of Vermont, Cael Robb for Wrestling at University of Nebraska Kearney, Ava Stanchina for soccer at North Dakota State University, Peter Swehla for football at Crown College, Collin Vick for basketball at University of Wisconsin Stout, Lauren Waypa for track and field at Northwestern College.

The ceremony will take place Wednesday, February 1, at 2:50 P.M. in the small group forum.