Kicking their way towards greatness

The+Owatonna+dance+team+performing+at+Northfield+High+School+during+a+halftime+performance.+

Sevy Enter

The Owatonna dance team performing at Northfield High School during a halftime performance.

Dez Nichols, Writer

As the winter season of Owatonna sports wraps up, the teams are preparing for Big 9 and section competitions. One of the teams headed into sections is the dance team. This team has had a great season so far and they look to keep up the success heading forward. 

The head coach of the dance team is Ms.Nikki Gefre. 

Gefre said, “My expectations going into sections is that we get our highest placements and scores compared to previous seasons at sections. Last year we placed eighth in Kick and ninth in jazz, which was our highest yet. This season we hope to get sixth in both. Our scores last season were a 64.8% (Kick) and a 66.5% (Jazz). Our goal this year is to be in the 70% or higher average.”

This is a realistic goal for a team that has been doing so well through the winter season. The dance season has been filled with great memories and moments for the team and the coaches. A moment Gefre remembers for the team was the Cannon Falls Invite. 

Gefre said, “That was the first time the Owatonna Dance ever swept an invite and it showed that all levels of our program are working hard to close the gap between our new program and the well established programs.”

The varsity team this year also gave Gefre a surprising new moment for not only her, but the history of the dance team. 

Gefre said, “For the varsity team, my favorite moment was Big 9. This year was also the first time we ever placed in the overall category, as well as taking first in Jazz for the first time ever.” This was not only a great moment but a milestone that’ll last in the Owatonna Dance program forever.

The start of sections means that the season could end anytime and no one wants it to last longer than the seniors of the team. Jocie Hendricks, a senior on the dance team, has high expectations for sections.

Hendricks said, “Mine and the team’s goals going into sections is to walk off the section floor feeling proud of our performance and like all of our hard work this season has paid off.” Regardless of the results of sections, she is happy with how the season has gone. Hendricks said, “My favorite moment from this season is competing in jazz at Big 9 and being Big 9 jazz champs.”

The season has been a great time for everyone involved and the team looks forward to competing in sections. The section competition begins on Feb.  11 at Bloomington Kennedy High School at 5:30 p.m.