Black History Month at OHS through DIG and Mixed Roots

Angel Barajas

Members from Dig and Mixed Roots have put out decorations around campus as a celebration for Black History Month.

Angel Barajas, Writer

At Owatonna High School, February is celebrated with many different traditions to honor the contributions that African Americans have made and to recognize their sacrifices. During this month at OHS, students decorate areas throughout the school with many different figures and colors. There are daily announcements read by members from Mixed Roots and DIG with information about past black historical figures. Compass times in February will be focused on informing students about the detailed history of black heroes and their impact on the United States of America.

Mixed Roots and DIG hope to show students there’s more to be discovered about Black History Month. Mixed Roots and DIG adviser Mr. Jermey Wood said, ”I’m trying to emphasize people that potentially students just haven’t heard about before, and kind of bring them into the forefront.” 

Students will be creating small pins and giving them out during lunch periods in exchange for student statements about what Black History Month means to them. Mixed roots and DIG hands them out to learn about what people know about Black History Month.

Students also celebrate during lunch playing a selection of music celebrating pioneering African American figures and traditions. Additionally, students will be decorating various classroom doors around the school, if teachers allow them to, with themes in honor of African American accomplishments like civil rights, literature, music and many more. Students love to do many things during this month to try to make sure that many realize who impacted this world and how their voices were heard. Sophomore Hasan Mohamed said, “During this month it is like amplifying the voices of some of our student population that otherwise isn’t necessarily always heard or doesn’t necessarily feel like they have a voice at times.”

Black History Month has a big celebration during one specific month which is February, but does not have to be celebrated or even taught just during this month.

Mr.Wood said, ”February does not have to be the only time of year, we talk about black history, black authors, black stories, black culture in America, any of these things, but we can certainly emphasize it during this period of the year and that’s great, but doesn’t need to be the only time to talk about it either.”

Black history could be learned more about in Mixed Roots and DIG room located in room B106, make sure to keep in touch for more information. Black History Month at OHS is an important time when many would like to take this adventure into more detail and learn more about it.