Good morning from the FFA

Members+of+the+FFA+at+the+annual+appreciation+breakfast.+

Crystal Garza

Members of the FFA at the annual appreciation breakfast.

Crystal M Garza, Writer

Future Farmers of America is an intracurricular organization. Through Career and Leadership Development Events, students in this organization gain a variety of leadership skills, including communication. They are also encouraged to explore new interests and try new things in order to advance their careers in agriculture.

A competition showcasing floral culture for students who are interested in plants and the State FFA convention for the dairy judging team are the upcoming major activities for the Owatonna FFA students. The state convention will take place at the University of Minnesota from April 23 to 25, 2023.

On March 2 from 6:30-9 a.m., friends, family and teachers joined the FFA students and adviser Elizabeth Tinaglia for their annual appreciation breakfast. This breakfast serves as an opportunity during National FFA week to thank their sponsors, teachers, parents and other community members who support the program throughout the year. 

Students in FFA shared how they have had the opportunity to further study dairy quality, animal science, floral culture and more when joining the program. In agreement with the students, Minnesota FFA association website says that  FFA is a School-Based Agricultural organization that will prepare students for successful careers and a lifetime of choices in the global agriculture, food, fiber and natural resources systems.

FFA helps the members with other things aside from agricultural benefits. 

Junior Morgan Proechel said, “This has brought me out more. I’ve just become more friendly as a person after getting to socialize. It’s pretty easy to make friends in FFA and there are so many opportunities with the CDEs.” 

After joining FFA in her freshman year of high school, senior Jenna Klecker will be gaining her state degree. 

Adviser Ms. Tinaglia said, “This is the highest award for a state level and she will be walking across the stage in front of over 10,000 people.”

Those who earn this state degree have received a Chapter FFA Degree, and have been an active FFA member for at least two years. 

Klecker said, “I feel very proud getting my FFA state Degree, it’s a huge accomplishment.” Klecker also hopes to pursue more agriculture studies after high school. 

Students continue to encourage others to join FFA for those that are passionate about agriculture and want to make a difference. Once involved many also feel that they are a part of something special, and are proud to be members of FFA.