OHS Boys Basketball moves onto sections

Senior+Captain+Blake+Burmeister+broke+two+OHS+records.+On+Friday%2C+March+3++he+landed+eleven+3+pointers+while+at+the+same+time+surpassing+the+single-game+high+scorer+with+44+points.+

Sky Krenzelok

Senior Captain Blake Burmeister broke two OHS records. On Friday, March 3 he landed eleven 3 pointers while at the same time surpassing the single-game high scorer with 44 points.

Ella Highfield, Writer

With the season coming to an end, the OHS Boys Basketball team is leaving with a record of 19-7 in the regular season. The teams most recent game was their senior night, against Red Wing which ended in a huge win of 97-65. Now they’re ready to go onto the next game, against Rochester Century in the first round of sections.

As a team, the boys have succeeded in expectations from the beginning of the season. They had a rough start coming out, but the team’s chemistry has grown to make them better.

Senior Mikah Elstad said, “I think our basketball season has gone great for the team, we all have worked really hard to be where we are at this point in time.” 

As a first timer on the boys varsity team, junior Rielly Kleeberger has made his role in the game a memorable one. 

Kleeberger said, “I think the season has gone well for me individually because I have gotten to have an impactful role on a winning team.”

Throughout the season, sophomore Nolan Ginskey has been pulled up to play on varsity. Not only has he improved as an athlete, but he has also made a positive impact on the team. 

Ginskey said, “I’m grateful that I am given the opportunity to play up, and all the upperclassmen have been welcoming to me and it’s nice to be a part of the team.”  

Senior captain Blake Burmeister broke two OHS records against Red Wing on Friday, March 3. He landed eleven 3 pointers while at the same time surpassing the single-game high scorer with 44 points. 

Burmeister said, “I am grateful that I reached these goals of mine during the last regular season game of the year. The only way I was able to accomplish these goals was because of the chemistry of my teammates. Without them none of this would have been possible.”

The team coming off their last game with a big win, now are in full stride to win their next game. 

“I am confident in our kids…but we have our work cut out for us. We received the 4th seed and have a tough 1st round game against Century and will play one of the top teams in the state in the second round in Lakeville North. We need to go out and compete like we have all year and take care of Century first…and then can worry about second round match-ups later.” Coach Williams said. 

The teams next game is Tuesday, March 7 at 7 p.m. at the Owatonna High School vs. the Rochester Century Panthers. Because this is a section game, activity passes are not accepted.