Sleep affecting you?

It is fair to say that kids, teens and adults all know sleep is an important part of their everyday life. With that, it is important to note that everyone needs sleep, but the amount you need each night can vary from person to person. The average teenager should accumulate a little over nine hours of sleep per night. That being said, some teens are also able to function with about eight hours of sleep, but it depends on the amount of energy you exert on a daily basis.

The biggest problem with the number of hours of sleep teens get is the inconsistency of hours of sleep each night. This can be due to many things. These factors include schoolwork, sports and activities, a job, or just neglect. Lack of sleep can have many negative affects on the human body. The most commonly known affects include depression, stress, weight gain, and aging of the skin. At the OHS, many things contribute negatively to student’s and their sleep patterns. Sophomore and three sport athlete, Alec Holcomb said, ” As a three sport athlete I am constantly busy. Whether it’s football, hockey, or baseball season, I always find it hard to manage schoolwork and sports with my sleeping schedule. I usually get at least seven hours of sleep a night, but whenever I’ve had a good night sleep, which for myself I would consider to be eight or more, I feel my ability to perform athletically is usually really good.” With sports, activities, and academics all being huge parts of  our school’s identity, this may be relatable for many who attend OHS. Outside of school, many students have jobs of their own which can be stressful and in some cases, limit the amount of sleep one can get if a person chooses to work late at night. Senior Collin Bruns said, “As someone who works before I go to school in the morning, I feel that sleep is a vital part of my day. I try to get at least six hours of sleep a night, but with sports and schoolwork in the mix, it can make it very hard to do so. I always feel my day goes smoothly when I’ve had a good night of rest.”

Everyone knows that they need to sleep, but how does a person find ways to sleep if they have a hard time catching their Z’s. There are however, many ways for students to gain more sleep throughout the night without dramatically changing your daily schedule. Turning off all electronics that emit light 30 minutes before bed can improve sleep dramatically as your brain unwinds. Many teens stay up much later on the weekends and sleep in later, as well. By going to bed at the same time regularly, a person keeps their biological clock ticking at the same rate. Doing other activities in your room such as watching television or doing homework can cause a person to gear their brain to prepare mentally for those activities rather than getting ready to sleep.

With the end of the school year coming fast, it is important for students to finish on a good note. With that being said, the most important thing to do for students is prioritize. With the everyday stress that the average student encounters, something easy one can do to improve their ability to accomplish their everyday tasks efficiently is to get enough sleep.