Reaching new heights

Sevy Enter

Senior Captain Owen Korbel approaching the bar to high jump.

Dez Nichols, Writer

OHS has many athletes going on to play at the next level of their sport. One of these athletes is senior Owen Korbel. Korbel’s specialty is the high jump on the OHS track team. His talents are leading him on to continue to compete at the Minnesota State University-Moorhead. 

Korbel deciding on MSUM is not a surprise based on the school and track team itself. The track program at MSUM has both an indoor and outdoor season where they compete at the Division II level. Moorhead is also one of the top teams in the NSIC conference and has produced many All-American athletes in the past few years. 

Korbel took into account all parts of the college experience that Moorhead will include. He said, “I chose Moorhead because I love the school, the town and the high jump coach has an amazing track record with producing jumpers throughout the past couple of years.” Korbel has a lot to back his decision and in his own terms it is the best for him in the long run. 

Another key part of an athlete’s journey at OHS is the coaches. Head coach Kevin Stelter has always been the main coach for the boy’s track team. The coaching staff  has worked to help OHS students to become great athletes. Korbel has been taught the ways of high jumping by the same coach since the time he was in middle school working predominantly with Coach Debby Gleason. Korbel has become one of the best high jumpers at OHS with the help of Coach Gleason. 

Any good coach will set goals for the athletes that they are training. Coach Gleason’s goals for Korbel are not impossible but will help him become the best athlete possible. Coach Gleason said, “My goal for Owen this season is to be confident in a stronger approach which should lead to reaching new heights. I would love for him to compete at state this year and that is something definitely within his reach.” 

Coach Gleason has high expectations for Korbel as the track season gets closer and closer. If and when the goals are reached Korbel will go out on top at the end of his high school career before he heads to Minnesota State University-Moorhead.