Exciting turn out at DECA state

Ava Flemke, Writer

DECA state this year was March 5 – 7. OHS advanced 88 students to state. At DECA state, students compete in events about different branches of the business world and attend award ceremonies each night to find out who gets into the International Career Development Conference, which will be in Orlando, Florida this year. 

This year was DECA Adviser Mr. Bradley Scharber’s first year as the head adviser. 

He said, “I thought it was a good experience and I thought the students had a lot of fun. Events went really well.” 

DECA state finalists from OHS were Aubri Werk and Ava Schauweker in Hospitality and Tourism-Team Decision Making, Ruby Garza in Principles of Marketing, Jonny Clubb and Derek Klecker with an Integrated Marketing Campaign-Event, Trevor Hiatt and David Smith with a Start Up Business Plan and Kiara Gentz and Lileigh Nguyen in Entrepreneurship-Team Decision Making. Amanda Clubb was awarded top 25 in her hospitality and tourism test. 

Two groups made the top eight as finalists: Jonny Clubb and Derek Klecker with their Integrated Marketing Campaign and Trevor Hiatt and David Smith with their Start Up Business Plan. 

“I was fortunate enough to qualify for finals with my start-up business plan, with David, and managed to place fifth in state.”

— Trevor Hiatt

OHS senior, Trevor Hiatt said, “The State Conference was a great experience for my team and I.” Hiatt worked very hard to prepare for state and had a great outcome. 

Hiatt stated, “I was fortunate enough to qualify for finals with my start-up business plan, with David, and managed to place fifth in state.”

No one from Owaonna qualified for an event at DECA nationals, but DECA officers all did things prior to DECA state, allowing them to go do conferences and workshops. There are seven officers attending ICDC this year. Officers include: Ezra Oien, Kate Havelka, David Smith, Jonny Clubb, Derek Klecker, Kiara Gentz and Lileigh Nguyen.