Trevor Gieseke shares his gift of photography with the world

Sophomore, Trevor Gieseke takes a photo of Mr. Dinse for his current project about the OHS. Photo by: Ava Flemke

Ava Flemke, Writer

Owatonna High School has had a variety of students come through with some holding some really special talents. Sophomore, Trevor Gieseke is truly an amazing photographer. Gieseke has been publicly recognized by Southern Minnesota for his work within the past couple of months. 

Gieseke’s photography journey started as a small project that has greatly expanded into what it is now. Gieseke has gained multiple skills throughout his photography journey. Gieseke has gained good people skills and gained confidence. His photography journey hasn’t been an easy one.

Gieseke said, “It can be difficult to get people to trust me and my work because I am only 16.”

The young photographer has a very impressive photography history. Gieseke’s journey started when he took a photo of the fountain in Central Park Owatonna. He then entered a Tri M Graphics photo calendar contest and his photo won for the month of August. The city of Owatonna saw his photo and asked Gieseke if he would take some landmark photos. 

Gieseke’s photography has allowed him to acquire a job at the Owatonna People’s Press as a photographer. Gieseke made a website for people to contact him, Photosbytrev.com. He made the website to keep future projects and services aligned. Gieseke said,  “My website is definitely not like other photographers. It’s different.” Photosbytrev.com has many features adapted into it to allow his customers to see his work and schedule what they best want. This all started and is special to him because he posted his picture of the fountain on Facebook and was contacted by Tri M Graphics to enter their contest and then was recognized by the People’s Press for his great work, and was then asked to be a part of their team. 

To know that I can be the comfort for people who have lost someone makes me feel so great and that’s why I do what I do.

— Trevor Gieseke

The Owatonna Arts Center is going to be holding an exhibit for Gieseke, May. 7 through May.28. Gieseke will also have an art exhibit at the Paradise Theater in Faribault from June. 26 through August 5. Gieseke has also been added as a young maker to the Rustic Mamas Market, taking place on Saturday, May. 6, and will have a photo booth and products for sale such as greeting cards, shirts, and blankets. 

The city of Owatonna has been working with Gieseke sending Gieseke a long list of all of the photos they wanted including Brooktree, Moorehouse, city hall, archery park, etc. Gieseke had to work extremely hard to get these photos and that is something that he is very proud of. 

Gieseke said, “These art exhibits have been a working process but for sure something you don’t want to miss.” 

To accompany his other accomplishments, Gieseke entered into the Steele County Free Fair for his photos. He was awarded three first-place ribbons, one second-place, and one third-place ribbon. He was awarded a cash prize for the Tri M Graphics calendar contest. He also won 2 community education youth photo contests, one with the theme of mystery and one with the theme of harvest.

Currently, Gieseke is working to capture the final moments of the OHS in our current building. Gieseke is working with Owatonna alumni and OHS teachers to create a video, composed of throwback and current photos, showing how much the high school has changed over the past hundred years. Gieseke is hoping to have this done by graduation to show the timeless memories of Owatonna High School. 

I’m thankful for my mother who captured every important moment in our lives, so we will forever have memories together.

— Trevor Gieseke

Because Gieseke is still a high school student, time can be very tight and it can be difficult to manage. Gieseke said, “It has been a lot of work because not only am I  busy with my  photography business and school, but I am also  working a part-time job.”As well as that, he is a student board member for the Little Theater of Owatonna. Gieseke works extremely hard to manage his time.  

For Gieseke, photography is not only a hobby, but a way to create and capture memories.

Gieseke said, “Ten years ago when I was six, I lost my oldest brother due to an asthma attack.” Since his brother passed away when he was young, he has a select few memories of his brother and relies on photos to remember his brother and the memories they shared. Gieseke said, “I’m thankful for my mother who captured every important moment in our lives, so we will forever have memories together.” Gieseke decided to start this photography business to be the creator of memories for families. 

Gieseke said, “To know that I can be the comfort for people who have lost someone makes me feel so great and that’s why I do what I do.” 

Through the power of photos, many continue to keep old memories alive. Gieseke shows a great amount of talent and passion for photography and has really bloomed since he started. Gieseke can’t wait to see what is yet to come from his work.