New opportunities become evident at OHS through career pathways and capstone classes

Career+pathways+and+capstones+set+students+up+for+success+through+OHS%2C+leading+to+job+opportunities+while+in+high+school.+

Designed by Amelia Shives

Career pathways and capstones set students up for success through OHS, leading to job opportunities while in high school.

Bella Voigt, Writer

The school system is evolving exponentially and changes have become evident throughout Owatonna high school. As a result of the concurrent courses offered for students as well as PSEO, getting ahead in high school has become an easy task for high school students. Not only are students more prepared for college, but career opportunities have arisen are significantly more beneficial to previous years. 

In the past, career pathways were not looked into much and more students seemed to just do the minimum it took to graduate. With the advancement of the school system leading to the more specialized classes, the students have gotten more guidance for future careers. 

Principal Kory Kath said, “There are unique features of the different pathways and by specializing and making sure the courses fit within those would meet a lot of the needs students have about exposure to specific careers they might be interested in.” 

This allows students to feel more comfortable leaving the high school and having an idea of where their future could take them. 

Starting this year, career pathways have set students better up for their future. Freshman, first would be concentrating on developing a plan of study that would aid in their success in the future. Once students advance a year to grades 10-12 they are split up into different career pathways that would spark individual interest. These career pathways consist of– engineering and manufacturing, business and communications as well as health sciences and human services. This allows students to get more one-on-one guidance to the careers that they are interested in. 

OHS already has an advanced placement stats consulting class which partners with existing businesses for data analysis. 

Mr.Kath said, “It’s directly linked to business partners who have a problem in the community and its problem based where you are solving something that is a concern.” 

This course has shown its success and has helped students get ahead throughout their career. 

In addition, Magnet has brought upon a capstone course that gives students who have done extra work throughout the class to get into an independent study that students will get a grade for. This capstone applies to any seniors who have been editors and other roles that require extra work. For this capstone, students are required to make a portfolio of all the work and stories they have written to exemplify the skills gained from the class as a whole. 

Senior, Jonny Clubb said, “I chose to do the Magnet capstone because I have completed a similar portfolio before and I believed it would be a great addition to my journalism skills and resume as a future journalist.”  

AP is a really good opportunity to expose yourself to high rigor courses that you are going to experience in trainings and or in college settings in the future and it’s a way for you to start to initiate what you are expected of post high school.

— Kory Kath

Over the years, college courses offered throughout the high school have become more accessible. Many AP classes are concurrent and will gain students college credit for passing the course. AP classes are available to high achieving students who are willing to take on harder assignments and a faster paced work environment. 

AP classes allow students to get a jumpstart in the college field as well as save tremendous amounts of money going into college. If the certain AP class does not already gain students college credit, then students are able to take the advancement placement test. Depending on the score of the test, which is scaled from one to five, that determines if the students receive any credit and exactly how much. AP classes prepare students for their future. Through AP courses, students learn valuable skills and gain a work ethic from the rigorous classroom that comes with the class. Some seniors are going into college with close to 30 college credits. 

Senior Trevor Hiatt said, “The AP classes I have taken have prepared me for my future. I will be going into college with 27 credits and with these I am able to get most of my generals out of the way.” 

Because of Hiatt’s hard work, it will allow him to be ahead of his freshman class. 

HIGHER EDUCATION  PARTNERSHIP WITH RIVERLAND 

Through Owatonna’s Community College Riverland, programs have come out that are aimed at getting high school students degrees in high school such as the certified nursing assistant course (CNA). This course shows how to give person centered care, teaches how to put catheters in and count respirations.This course helps students have a degree and career fresh out of high school. 

Some students take CNA as a prerequisite to get into other healthcare programs, such as a practical nursing or registered nursing program. Some students take a nursing assistant course to see if they might be interested in going down the path in the healthcare field.

— Riverland Professor Allyson Klankowski

The nursing industry is always looking for help and now all of these students have a headstart in the medical field. Although this class is rigorous, if the determination keeps up, students will be able to pass. 

Ms. Klankowski said, “Fortunately, we have a phenomenal partnership with a local organization to help students prepare for nursing assistant courses by taking a prep course that continues to reinforce material learned throughout the duration of the course. It has been great to see students who have previously would have failed out, excel in the program.” 

The opportunities that are given are helping students grow through academics and knowledge. 

As the community grows, so does the school system. This brings the new Owatonna High School that will be accessible to all students starting fall, 2023. With the new high school, classes that are being offered have become aimed at helping students gain certain skills while being conformed to the high school walls. As a new addition to the high school, a firefighting course as well as an EMT course will be available. These courses will teach essential skills to help students gain degrees in high school so when they graduate, the job opportunities are presented with their experience. This first hand experience sets students up for success. These courses get students ahead significantly and are a better option for students who maybe do not want to go to college after high school, which is becoming more normalized as the years go on. 

The addition of the pathways and capstones allows students to gain way into a higher education while still actively involved in high school. Students are now going into life after high school prepared and set on their way of success. As the school system will be seen growing even more through the years, the effort to help students shine and find their future will only expand. Owatonna is raising influential students and is actively advancing the school system as a whole.