Timothée Chalamet conquers Hollywood

Chalamet+featured+on+promotional+poster++alongside+Call+Me+By+Your+Name+co-star+Armie+Hammer.+

Photo from Sony Productions

Chalamet featured on promotional poster alongside “Call Me By Your Name” co-star Armie Hammer.

Luca Gfrerer, Writer

Hollywood is filled with many rising stars, including Timothée Chalamet. The 27 year old American actor has played many major and minor roles in a variety of movies, foreign films and book to film adaptations. Throughout his growing career, he has been nominated for an Academy Award, two Golden Globe Awards, three British Academy Film Awards, five Screen Actors Guild Awards, and five Critics’ Choice Movie Awards.

Chalamet made his debut in “Law and Order” in 2009, where he played the minor role of a murder victim. Another role during the beginning of his career was his appearance as Finn Walden in the drama series “Homeland” in 2012. Along with the rest of the cast, he was nominated for a Best Ensemble SAG Award. 

Despite his roles throughout the late 2000’s, his career took off in 2017 when he starred in Luca Guadagnino’s “Call Me By Your Name;” a film adaptation of André Aciman’s 2007 novel. Chalamet played Elio Perlman, a 17 year old boy who falls in love with his family’s summer guest. His portrayal of the character resulted in an Academy Award nomination for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. The film received a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and an overall audience score of 86%. 

An important asset to Chalamet’s career is actress and frequent co-star, Saoirse Ronan. Chalamet and Ronan met in 2016 on the set of Greta Gerwig’s “Lady Bird.” Since then, the two starred in Gerwig’s 2019 remake of “Little Women,” and Wes Anderson’s “The French Dispatch” (2021). Ronan and Chalamet consider themselves to be friends on and off set. 

In an interview with Glitter Magazine, Ronan said, “I’ve always let him know, and he’s always let me know, we can talk to each other, and we do. He has good people around him, and I’m one of them.” Later in the interview, Chalamet refers to Ronan as his best friend. 

Although Chalamet is popular among all ages, his target audience seems to be teenagers and young adults. In the majority of his films, he plays relatable roles that show the comedic and tragic aspects of a typical teenage life. His charisma and charm he expresses in interviews attract the attention of many adolescents. 

OHS sophomore Anela Grubish said, “His personality is funny and endearing.”

With each new interview, film, and series, Chalamet’s career continues to grow. He has attracted the attention of people all around the world due to his films being translated into many different languages and set in many different countries. His fanbase has grown significantly in the past few years, and with his continuous appearances, it will surely continue to expand. 

Some of Chalamet’s other recent and successful films to watch include “Dune” (2021), “Don’t Look Up” (2021), and “Beautiful Boy” (2018). Make sure to keep an eye out for some of these upcoming films that will feature Chalamet: “Wonka” and “Dune: Part 2.” Both movies are set to release later this year.